Law Offices of P. Sterling Kerr, P.C.
Free Consultations. Call Today.
View Our Practice Areas

What agencies do Nevada mining companies deal with?

Most Nevada residents are well aware of the natural resources the state has to offer. From stunning vistas, to gold, silver and gypsum, Nevada attracts many people both for recreation and potential profit. Mining is a huge industry in the state, bringing in $2.5 billion dollars to the economy annually. This benefit doesn't come easily, however, as the mining industry is heavily regulated by the government in order to ensure that the environmental quality enjoyed by Nevada residents is not affected.

With regulation comes interaction with governmental entities. So, with what agencies will a Nevada mining company have to deal with when it comes to operating within the state? First would be a state agency known as the Nevada Bureau of Mining Regulation and Reclamation, or BMRR. This agency protects the water resources of the state and is responsible for encouraging good use of the land after mining operations have finished. The BMRR will become very familiar to mining companies in the state as it handles much of the oversight of their operations.

On the federal side, companies that run mining in Nevada will likely have reason to deal with the Bureau of Land Management, or BLM. Over 80 percent of the state is owned by the federal government and administered by the BLM. This agency will need to issue permits for most mining exploration and other operations that disturb over five acres of ground. Mining companies will likely have to file plans of operations with BLM in most instances.

As might be imagined, navigating the extensive morass of state and federal regulation without running afoul of various environmental rules is difficult at best. Because violations can open a business up to fines or interruption in operations, it may be a good idea for mining companies to consider getting more information about Nevada mining regulations.

Post Type: Q&A

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Our Attorneys are licensed in Nevada, California and Utah

We happily accept:

Visa | Mastercard | American Express | Discover Network | Paypal
Email Us For A Response

Get Help From An Experienced Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Law Offices of P. Sterling Kerr, P.C.
2450 Saint Rose Parkway Suite 120
Henderson, NV 89074

Toll Free: 800-745-8826
Phone: 702-608-0835
Phone: 702-451-2055
Fax: 702-451-2077
Henderson Law Office Map