Law Offices of P. Sterling Kerr, P.C.
Free Consultations. Call Today.
View Our Practice Areas

What can I do if my business property has been damaged?

One of the first things a Henderson, Nevada business owner or real estate investor will want to buy after purchasing a piece of commercial real estate is property insurance.

This type of insurance is supposed to protect them from financial hardship should their business buildings or investment homes get damaged by theft, a fire or some sort of natural disaster. When things are going as expected, all an owner need do after experiencing damage to his or her business property is file a claim with his or her insurance company. If it is a valid claim, an insurance company is expected to pay for the damage according to the terms of the policy.

Unfortunately, though, insurance companies do not always pay claims they should after a disaster. In other cases, the company might agree to pay, but will not pay everything that the insurance company owes or will do so only after a great deal of humming and hauling.

A Nevada resident can always at that point sue the insurance company for breach of contract, as the insurance policy is a binding agreement on both the business owner and the insurance company. However, that is not everything in a business owner's legal arsenal.

Under Nevada law, the owner of a business may also sue for what is called bad faith or may sue for the company's violation of Nevada's minimum legal requirements for handling claims fairly. These options are particularly useful for business owners because they can use them to claim additional damages, including attorney fees.

Hopefully, investors in business property will have the foresight to purchase appropriate insurance. If they have done so but still have problems getting a valid claim paid, then they may be able to get legal remedies with help of an attorney experienced with real estate law.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Our Attorneys are licensed in Nevada, California and Utah

We happily accept:

Visa | Mastercard | American Express | Discover Network | Paypal
Email Us For A Response

Get Help From An Experienced Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Law Offices of P. Sterling Kerr, P.C.
2450 Saint Rose Parkway Suite 120
Henderson, NV 89074

Toll Free: 800-745-8826
Phone: 702-608-0835
Phone: 702-451-2055
Fax: 702-451-2077
Henderson Law Office Map